November MinutesPosted: December 19, 2013
PTA Council Notes – General Meeting
November 6, 2013
Called to Order: 7:08 pm
Pledge of Allegiance
Attendance: Signed into Book – Quorum Met
Board – No Report
Superintendent Report – Given by Kevin Bright, Assistant Superintendent
• Thrilled with Issue 84 passing. 2 Levies passed in 7 months. One by 69% , the other by 70%.
• Ohio Facility Commission is our partner since they are contributing 50 million to the project.
Select a Construction Management Company, Architect, Demolition, Construction. Plan to have
all hired by February.
• Work with staff and community on building ideas.
• Currently developing a transition plan for where students will attend during construction. Taft
and Franklin are options. In discussions with local Catholic schools and United Methodist.
• Working to keep student groups together during move. And in a reasonable walking distance.
Busing is not being considered.
• Target Timeline. Elementary students will be in transition schools for the 2014/2015 and 2015/
2016 school years. Will begin in new schools in Fall 2016. High school will be complete in
High School Report – Attached
Middle School Report – No Report
Elementary Report – No Report
Early Childhood Report – No Report – A representative will begin attending meetings next month.
• 12/4 – Common Core meeting at 6 pm in Garfield Cafeteria. Will attempt to move the next
council meeting that occurs on the same evening at 7 pm to Garfield so that members may
attend both meetings if they wish. More information will be communicated via Email.
• 11/19 – Deb Sweeny will host a meeting in her home to Advocate Parent Involvement. This
is not an official PTA event. 1587 Woodward. Overflow parking available at Harding Middle
• This is Market Days Pie month. Consider purchasing from one of the schools programs.
• Kiwanis is eager to attend unit meetings. Please contact if interested.
• Rachel, President of Grant PTA, would like Lakewood PTAs to consider coming together to break
a World Record. Open to ideas of what this event would be. Would take place next spring.
Please go back to units to gage interest. Next step would be to form a committee.
Volunteer of the Month – 4 schools reported hours. Horace Mann, Grant, Harding, Roosevelt.
Winner – Erin Dohar, Corresponding Secretary at Roosevelt. $25 Gift Certificate to Sweet Designs
Treasurer’s Report – See Attached
• Council E-Newsletter/Guidelines & Tips – Students may contribute. See attached flyer for
• Holiday Lights Contest & Winter Flower Sale-See attached flyer. Music boosters is only selling
flowers at concert from stage. No pre-sale orders. We will not be competing. This is the first
year of fundraising in the last 8 for the PTA Council. Necessary to keep scholarship fund strong.
PTA Council Unit has a goal of selling 50 plants.
• Conflict of Interest Policy –More details TBD.
• Attending Unit Meetings-Council representatives will continue to attend meetings to build
• Nomination Forms for Council – See attached Form. Nominations for next year must be
submitted by January 8th
• Updated Bylaws will be emailed after tonight’s vote
• Grant PTA: Assemblies – Rachel explained that there is a Chair Person specifically for
Assemblies. $3600 budget. Examples; COSI is scheduled 1st
School (magician, CAVs.) Anti-Bullying. Authors. Units should feel free to contact Rachel for
contacts and recommendations.
First Vice President
Installation Committee (May 2014) Sign Up Sheet passed
Schools in Cinema – See Attached Flyer
Second Vice President
• Educator of the Year/Helping Hands – See Attached Guidelines & Requirements
o At May Installation will recognize 1 teacher per grade level. Nomination committee will
be formed in January.
Recording Secretary – No Report
Corresponding Secretary –
• Discussed Sympathy cards being sent.
• Social Media Policy is in the process of being written. Anyone interested in participating should
let Joanne know.
Ways & Means
• Thank you Julie Derrick for July 4th
• Holiday Fundraisers and Light Up Lakewood – See attached.
Advocacy/Legislation – No Report
Health & Safety –
• All units (except Roosevelt & Harrison) have been visited to talk about offering CPR/AED
training. Training is open to anyone 4th
and she is happy to schedule more. 240 were trained in the district last year – many of those
• Currently working on emergency action plans for each school.
Parliamentarian – No Report
• Be sure your submissions adhere to strict guidelines
• Input submissions Online – Chair of each unit responsible.
• If anyone is interested in taking this chair position next year Heidi recommends that they attend
the ceremony so that they are familiar with the process for next year.
• A speaker is still needed for this year’s ceremony. The owner/designer at GV was suggested.
• Judges are needed for the final 24 submissions to state.
• Grant is holding 3 workshops and is inviting students from schools who are not hosting
workshops. 11/12-Visual Arts, 11/14-Photography, 11/19-Literature
Scholarships – No Report
• A Motion was made by Cindy Peck to accept the Nominating Committee Appointees. Seconded
by Lisa Majeski. Motion voted and Approved. Nominating Committee Appointed –Deb Sweeny,
Jenny Beno, JoAnne Schwark. Accepting nominations for positions now through end of January.
Slate is Proposed at February meeting. Election in March.
• Proposed Amendment to PTA Bylaws discussed. Some were concerned that (g.) is too specific
and may discourage those without craft skills from taking the position. A motion was made by
Maria to Accept the Amendment with omitting (g.). Cindy Peck 2nds the motion. Vote is taken
and approved in the affirmative.
Amendment to Lakewood Council of PTAS By-Laws adopted April 10, 2013
Section 2. The president-elect shall:
a. Act as aide(s) to the president;
b. In the order listed in Article VI, perform the duties of the president in the president’s absence or inability to serve;
*c. Perform duties prescribed by these bylaws, standing rules, and by the parliamentary authority adopted by this
Section 2. The president-elect shall:
a. Act as an aide(s) to the president;
b. In the order listed in Article VI, perform the duties of the president in the president’s absence or inability to serve; and
*c. Perform duties prescribed by these bylaws, standing rules, and by the parliamentary authority adopted by this council.
d. Serve a one year term during the final year of the current president’s term,
e. Coordinate the committee activities to compile the Welcome Packets between May and July, and distribute the
packets to the Superintendent and members of Board of Education as well as the Mayor and members of City Council in
September at their monthly meeting. Each member of Lakewood council of PTAs will also receive a copy of the packet.
[Rationale: this allows the president – elect to enhance PTA community relations with our elected members of the
f. Organize a committee for Lakewood community festival booths that Council determines appropriate,
g. Serve as Council Historian by combining pictures and/or words to capture a PTA moment from a unit or council event
in a unique form of expression to create a narrative. The anthology will be presented to the out-going president at
• December Meeting (Holiday Social) Possible venue change due to common core meeting on the
same night. See notes above. Will be a more social meeting.
Meeting adjourned at 8:40 pm.